what e-commerce technologies are you proficient in – Ecommerce, online stores, marketplace, sales on social networks, digital advertising. How many times have you heard these concepts? I’m sure many. But, have you really identified the characteristics of electronic commerce, and how can you take advantage of them to your advantage?
Currently, a large number of entrepreneurs who seek to create a business using digital tools do not have a complete picture of what it means to sell online, and due to this lack of information, they find scenarios that they never imagined, which can lead them to spend more than necessary or even throw in the towel.
So that this does not happen to you, I will share 8 characteristics of electronic commerce. The elements that compose it and why you should join this trend in the coming months. will you accompany me?
Elements of electronic commerce
Selling on the internet goes beyond just posting photos of your products on social networks or sharing them through messaging applications such as WhatsApp. To do it successfully, you must convey confidence to your potential buyers and offer them a unique experience throughout the process.
To take the first step on this digital path, the first thing that must done to know the 4 essential elements of electronic commerce, which :
- Digital platform
- friendly web interface
- payment system
- informative sections
Below I share more information about each component.
1. Digital platform
This trading software is the sales channel that facilitates the buying and selling process for the users. It can be from a website with a shopping cart or mobile applications to social networks.
2. Friendly web interface
The raison d’être of electronic commerce is to offer the buyer an easy-to-use platform to carry out the transaction. At this point, the striking and intuitive design becomes relevant and a differentiator.
3. Payment system
This element is vital so the seller can accept electronic payments and the buyer feels safe to do so. It is also known as a payment gateway.
4. Informative sections
These pages contain information about the history of the business, use of personal data, return policies, shipping costs, guarantees and frequently asked questions.
8 characteristics of electronic commerce
The 8 characteristics of electronic commerce that you should know are:
- It takes place in a digital space.
- It facilitates the buying and selling of products or services 24/7.
- Use updated virtual catalogues.
- Offer a customer-focused experience.
- Transactions are made through payment gateways.
- Sellers maintain the confidentiality of each buyer’s data.
- Use technological tools to be in contact with the client.
- It can developed with an online store or marketplace.
I will explain in more detail below.
1. It takes place in the digital world
It may sound obvious, but it is not. One of the characteristics of electronic commerce is that it must be carried out in a virtual space —either in a marketplace such as Amazon or Mercado Libre—or in your own online store. Which can be created with the help of tools such as Tiendanube— or even social media.
During the purchase, the seller must offer the buyer a 100% secure experience in which their personal and bank details are not compromised. This is achieved by using platforms with extensive technological infrastructure.
2. Facilitates the buying and selling of products or services 24/7
By not taking place in a physical store. Sellers can offer their products 24 hours a day. Leaving behind any type of schedule.
The facility to close transactions from any device with internet access makes everything more comfortable, fast and easy to do.
3. Use updated virtual catalogues
Without a virtual catalogue, sales cannot be made. This document allows you to keep track of your business products and must update at all times to provide a reliable user experience.
Thanks to technology, this control process can be carried out more quickly. It is enough to choose the tool that best suits your needs, dedicate time to feed it with information and keep the data updated.
4. Offer a customer-focused experience
How? Weren’t companies the only ones benefiting from eCommerce? The answer is no. Electronic commerce revolves around the customer, who, over time, has become more demanding with the forms of consumption.
Your online store must 100% optimized so that consumers find what they looking for easily and quickly. Ideally, you can reach any section in less than two clicks from your home page (also known as the home page).
5. Transactions are made through payment gateways
Payment gateways are the tools with which a user can pay for a product or service in an online store without putting their personal information at risk. Thanks to them, the buyer can decide whether to pay with a credit card, debit card, instalments or even with a bank deposit or in convenience stores.
6. Sellers maintain the confidentiality of each buyer’s data
The security of a platform is a differentiator that has quickly gained importance. Thanks to security protocols. The owner of e-commerce prevents buyers from electronic scams and protects their personal information at all times.
This is one of the characteristics of electronic commerce in Mexico that you should not overlook if you want to boost your business and increase your sales.
7. Use technological tools to be in contact with the client
By not having a physical connection with the product or the business, developing applications to maintain communication between entrepreneur and buyer is essential to eliminate doubt and offer customer service without complications.
Thanks to the chatbot configuration, people can solve their most common questions in just a few minutes. In this way, the owner of an eCommerce does not have to be near a computer or cell phone 24 hours a day to close sales.
8. It can be developed with an online store or marketplace
Among the characteristics of e-commerce, technology is marketplaces and online stores. A marketplace works like a virtual shopping centre where hundreds of brands offer their products competitively to visitors.
For his part, in an online store. The business owner has complete control over his brand, choosing the payment methods he wants to receive, the shipping methods and the platform’s design.
Both tools can combined in a successful sales strategy to capture potential customers.
Why should you do e-commerce in 2022?
The ease of buying and selling products is one of the main characteristics of electronic commerce that motivates entrepreneurs to create a business in the digital world.
Below I will share 5 reasons why your brand should have a sales and marketing strategy focused on selling online:
- Creating an online store is becoming more accessible, thanks to digital tools. You do not need to have advanced technical knowledge. An example of this type of service is Tiendanube, a platform with which you can have your own e-commerce in a few minutes.
- You can sell without limits on hours or geographical areas. It is enough to choose a reliable parcel service and work on a functional logistics for you.
- By not having a physical store, the initial investment is lower and you can focus on other areas such as your inventories, shipping, and optimization of your online store, among others.
- You can carry out advertising campaigns at affordable prices, capturing the attention of potential customers thanks to effective segmentation.
- You can accept payments with credit cards, debit cards, or bank transfers. This will help you sell more, even while you sleep.